A1 Eyewear
  • Common Conditions

Eye Conditions

There are a number of common eye conditions that can cause discomfort, blurred vision, and damage to your eyes.

Below, we have listed some of the typical eye problems you might encounter, and the recommended action to take to remedy them.

If you have any questions at all about eye care, don’t hesitate to contact us by phone, email, or by dropping by our shop in Wrexham to talk to our team.

Blepharitis

Blepharitis is the inflammation of the rims of the eyelids, causing them to become red and swollen. It’s a common condition that accounts for 1 in 20 eye problems reported to GPs. Blepharitis symptoms include burning or stinging eyes and itchy eyelids.

A1 Eyewear’s skilled optometrists are trained to spot the early signs of blepharitis and will advise you to routinely clean your eyes with a special wash, though in severe cases antibiotics may be required. In order to treat blepharitis effectively, we stock Blephasol, Blephaclean and Blephagel.

Dry eye

Dry eye syndrome occurs when the eyes do not produce enough tears. This can lead to the eyes drying out and becoming inflamed and irritated. Dry eye can be uncomfortable, but it is rarely serious and doesn’t usually affect vision. It tends to affect people over 60 years old, but younger people can also be affected.

There are a number of possible causes for dry eye syndrome. The most common of which are:

  • Hot and windy climates
  • Side effects from medicines
  • Hormonal changes due to aging.

You can help to prevent dry eye syndrome by keeping your eyes and eyelids clean, moistening the surrounding air with a humidifier, and by ensuring you eat a healthy diet packed with oils and omega-3 fats. Reducing the amount of time you look at television and computer screens can also lessen the day-to-day strain on your eyes.

Glaucoma

Glaucoma is a term that describes a group of conditions that affect vision. It often affects both eyes, usually in varying degrees. Glaucoma occurs when the drainage tubes within the eye become slightly blocked. This prevents eye fluid to drain properly, which in turn creates a build up of pressure that can damage the optic nerve.

It is important to diagnose glaucoma early, as any eye damage cannot be reversed. Glaucoma can be treated with eye drops, laser treatment or surgery.

Cataracts

Cataracts are cloudy patches in the lens that can make vision blurred or misty. They can develop in one or both eyes and affect men and women equally. In the UK, over half of people with cataracts are over 65. Cataracts can be caused by a variety of lifestyle factors such as diet, smoking, steroid medicines and overexposure to sunlight.

The early stages of cataracts may not affect your vision if you use a brighter light to read by or use stronger glasses. The only way to treat severe cases is with surgery. Our team will spot if you have cataracts and will advise on the best course of action for you to take.

Macular degeneration

Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is a painless eye condition that leads to the gradual loss of central vision. This can have a great impact on your ability to see things that are directly in front of you.

There are two main types of AMD:

  • Dry AMD

Dry AMD develops when the eyes are not getting enough nutrients and waste products called drusens build up. This is the most common and least serious form of AMD. The loss of vision is very gradual, occurring over many years.  Currently, there is no cure for dry AMD so treatment is based on helping a person make the most of their remaining vision, such as using magnifying lenses to make reading easier.

  • Wet AMD

Wet AMD develops when abnormal blood vessels form underneath the macula and damage its cells. Wet AMD is serious and without treatment, vision can deteriorate within days. Wet AMD can be treated with medication – this does not always lead to improved vision, but can prevent it from worsening.

Reduce your risk from age-related macular degeneration by not smoking, eating at least five portions of fruit and vegetables as part of a healthy diet, and moderate your consumption of alcohol.

Astigmatism

Astigmatism is a common and usually minor condition of the eye that causes blurred or distorted vision. Astigmatism belongs to a group of related eye conditions known as refractive errors. These occur when the cornea or lens is not a perfectly curved shape.

If left untreated astigmatism can cause strained, fatigued eyes and headaches. A1 Eyewear can diagnose astigmatism after a routine eye test and will recommend corrective lenses or contacts as treatment.

Myopia

Myopia is the medical term for short-sightedness, a very common refractive eye condition that causes distant objects to appear blurred, while closer objects can be seen more clearly. Sometimes it can be very mild, but myopia can also require treatment in severe cases.

Most cases of short-sightedness are caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors that disrupt the normal growth of the eye. If one of your parents is short-sighted, you have around a 40% chance of developing the condition yourself. This increases to around 60% if both of your parents are short-sighted.

The most common treatment for myopia is to correct your eyesight using glasses or contact lenses.

Hypermetropia (more commonly known as hyperopia)

Hypermetropia/hyperopia, also known as long-sightedness, is a common condition that affects a person’s ability to see objects close to them.

Refractive errors, such as long-sightedness, are usually identified during early eye examinations. Long-sightedness occurs when the eyeball is too short, the cornea is not curved enough, or when the lens is too thin.

Long-sightedness can occur at any age, but it is more noticeable after the age of 40. Age-related long-sightedness is known as presbyopia. It develops when the lens in your eye becomes stiffer.

Long-sightedness is often corrected using glasses, contact lenses, or laser surgery.

Presbyopia

Presbyopia is the medical name for age-related long-sightedness, a type of refractive error that develops when the lens in the eye becomes stiff. It is a normal part of ageing, and not a disease that simply means that as you get older, you may find it more difficult to focus on nearby objects.

Wearing reading glasses or contact lenses can help to lessen the affects of presbyopia.